Monday, September 7, 2009

Aunt Bettye - The Life of the Party

My dear Aunt Bettye called a few days before Rejane was scheduled to come home for a visit. Ring, ring. "Hello, Aunt (pronounced Ant) Bettye. What's up?"
Aunt Bettye: Nothing. When is Rejane coming in?
Me: August 22nd. Are you planning a road trip?
Her: No, uh,uh.
Me: Are you hinting we need to plan a road trip to see you?
Her: Yeah, that's right. (Try to imaging a cackle here. She knows she has got her way.)
Me: Okay, I"ll get with Re' and plan a trip. See you soon.

Aunt Bettye was always my favorite Aunt. She was the youngest of my aunts and uncles and always acted young at heart. Still does. When I was in college and home for a visit, I would go to house to let my hair down. All my college friends thought Aunt Bettye's was a nightclub rather than a person, because of the stories I told. I laugh now just thinking about it.

I apologize for the picture quality. Whenever I learn how to use the photoshop on this computer, this all will be much better. She is an attractive lady.









This is her oldest daughter, Kaye. She is the only sibling still living in Owensboro. Her brothers live in Hawaii and Louisville; her sister lives in Georgia.










My niece Dani rode with us. She never misses a chance to visit Aunt Bettye. Aunt Bettye will keep you laughing from the time you enter until the time you leave.










And last but not least, here is the whole reason for the trip - Diva Re' - my favorite daughter.












Now one more thing you need to know - another big reason to ride to Owensboro is for the barbeque. I skipped breakfast and we all were looking forward to a trip to Moonlite BBQ for the buffet. Alas, Aunt Bettye cooked lunch for us and we pigged out on two casseroles and green beans. But don't cry for us, we stopped by Moonlite on the way out of town and brought some bbq mutton home for me and my sister. Yum, yum, yum.

And in advance of my daughter's birthday this month, I had two pounds shipped to her. Enjoy, dearie.

No comments: