Thursday, September 18, 2008

Strawberry Torte

My daughter called me a couple of weeks ago to get a recipe that I could not find - Strawberry Torte. I haven't made this dessert in over five years. Why not? I have no idea. It would have helped if she had requested it sooner. Maybe it's because I had moved and lost the paper copy of the recipe. Anyway, I searched and searched through all my printed recipes to no avail. And I was disappointed; this was a knock-out dessert. So she punted and made a reasonable facsimile of it.
I'm on vacation this week. Out of nowhere, a thought came to me directing me to search for a disk that may have the recipe on it. Voila!! Here it is! As I told my friend today, this is what retirement must be like. My brain is free to think of things like this. You must try it.

But first, I must tell you I've had this recipe for a few years. I would modify it somewhat according to my current dietary "laws." I would make whipped cream from scratch - sue me!! The original recipe called for margarine - an absolute no-no in my house. Secondly,some amounts of ingredients are not specified. I'm guessing at the amount of strawberries needed and I don't know the amount of glaze. Get a small container. And I'm guessing the total amount of Cool Whip needed must be a small container, because some gets mixed into the cream cheese layer and some goes on top of the strawberries. And finally, I don't recall ever using coconut. It still is delish!!

I know. I know. For you precise cooks, this is somewhat unsettling. One of my friends says that she expects one day my kitchen is going to explode. I am not afraid of experimenting.

Strawberry Torte

1 cup flour
1 cup pecans, chopped
2 T. sugar
1 stick butter, melted

Mix together and spread in 9x9 pan. Bake 15-20 minutes at 350 F. Let cool.

1 8 oz. package of cream cheese (room temperature)
1 cup Cool Whip
1 cup powdered sugar

Mix and spread on cool crust.

Mix fresh strawberries (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups) and strawberry glaze. Spread over cream cheese layer. Spread remainder of Cool Whip on top of strawberies. Sprinkle with coconut. Let chill several hours.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Hmm, why haven't we ever gotten to sample this dish and all it's deliciousness?! I know, it's because you couldn't find the recipe. Well now that you have it, no more excuses. Brian's birthday dessert is Monday, so Tuesday should be fine!