Thursday, March 26, 2009

Raised Beds, Part Deux

Well, the beds are filled now. I could have borrowed a friend's father's truck, gone to Con Robinson, got soil and compost, come home and made hundreds of trips between the truck and the back yard to fill the beds. I could have had 4 cubic yards dumped in the driveway and made hundreds of trips between the dirt pile and the back yard to fill the bed frames. Or I could just pay someone to do it for me. I chose the last option. It was a bargain. When I got home Monday, all my landscaping had fresh mulch and the boxes were filled with organic soil and compost. Yeah!!
Of course, I immediately planted seeds - mesculin mix, bibb and romaine lettuce, spinach, two types of swiss chard, dill, cilantro, basil and parsley. Now don't worry...I didn't plant a lot of any of these; I'm still learning how much I need to plant to feed mainly one person. Well, and some very close friends. Here are some pictures:
















The herbie-looking plastic tub to the right in the top photo is a modified herbie compost bin. The raised bed to the right in the one containing my first seeds.
















And these photos are of two of my freshly mulched flower beds. The small tree to the left of the front porch is a redbud which is just barely budding. It will be gorgeous soon. The beds in the back yard contain knockout roses among other plants; I'll take another photo after they've bloomed so you can see how lovely they are.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I saw your comment on my blog and I wanted to respond. Girl, I have to post daily if I have any hopes of catching up to PW! I'm not sure where I'm finding the time at night but somehow I'm managing. Of course that means some things, like my scrapbooking, have been put on hold.

Have your seeds sprouted yet? I'm ready for some garden-fresh salad!