Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Giving Thanks

I try to remember during this time of year to give thanks and reflect on the reasons for our celebrations. It is easy to get lost in preparation decisions, such as to brine or not to brine the turkey, what sides should I prepare, do I dare to plan to exercise on Thursday, etc. But today, sitting in front of my computer and prompted by a friend's blog, I am pausing to give thanks:

For a loving family and loyal friends

For a good-paying job and friendly workplace

For a good church and pastors who preach the uncompromising word of God

For being born and living in this country, where I can and do vote, where I can walk the streets without threat of armed troops and bombs, where I sleep soundly in peace

For my daughter (whom I was sure I had failed to raise to be a decent, responsible human being) who has proved me wrong a hundred times over in the last year

For Jesus Christ, my savior. Yeah, corny, isn't it?

Take time to give thanks. It's the pathway to the gates of heaven.(Ps. 100:4)

No comments: